Monday, July 21, 2008

Talking with the Nagas.




Yesterday my wife and I spent a good part of the day at Island Beach state park. As we were lounging on the beach, we saw storm clouds rolling in so T, asked me if I could keep the clouds away. Now, I have used magick to directly influence the weather before, but with mixed results. I have stopped storms by trapping them in magickal chalices, and breathed pure elemental energy into the sky to change a storms course or burn it up or what have you. I am not all that fond it though. I always get a feeling that I am making things worse somewhere else. So instead I decided to talk to the nagas.

For those that don’t know, Nagas are serpentine beings that are often propitiated (or exorcised) in Indian and Tibetan magick. They influence various things like the flow of wealth and weather. They can be very touchy, but if you know how to make allies with them they are powerful friends. A few years ago, when the Ngakpa Zhonnu Khang went camping for a week with Lama Vajranatha we did quite a lot of work with the Nagas. We were stopping and starting the rain according to our teaching schedule almost exactly, and I never got the feeling that we were making things better or worse anywhere else.

So, I decided to talk to the Nagas, who told me that the beach was going to be rained on, and I was too late to do anything about that, however they would steer the main storm clear of my particular stretch of beach. I told T and we stayed through a quick sprinkle, than the sun came out. About an hour later, we started to hear thunder and saw another storm approaching. She asked me if they were still saying the same thing, and they insisted that we were clear. When we saw lightening, my wife decided that the Nagas must be wrong and we packed it into the car. However, the Nagas were not wrong. It rained holy hell and flooded the road about a quarter of a mile from where we were, but it didn’t do anything but spit drizzle near us for about 10 minutres.

Why am I relating this? Because the lesson here is that there are many ways to accomplish the same thing, some of which are smarter than others. In the old days I would have used some direct application of power, but here I just had to ask nicely.

Also, when the Nagas tell you something, believe them. You might get another hour of beach time because of it.

1 comment:

corvusbrachyrhynchos said...

Great blog entry... simple courtesy is a powerful tool. I often consider the differences between the ability to do something, and the correctness of such action. It would seem that we have to cross boundaries and/or step on figurative toes in order to learn proper etiquette. Once you realize that you can ASK, rather than just bullying or forcing, things just seem to flow.