Monday, December 15, 2008

St Paul of Mt Latros

At the advice of my Bishop, Tau Nemesius, I made a special prayer today to St Paul of Latros as this is his feast day. 

Paul was a Christian mystic of a neo-platonic bent that spent a lot of time dodging people that wanted to be his disciples so he could devote himself to prayer and meditation. He even spent several years meditating in Pythagoras's cave. A famous seer he was consulted by several Byzantine rulers of his day. 

He was one of the first to promulgate deep meditation upon God as uncreated light. This is a good fit for me as most magicians, can relate to the idea of divine light. Dzogchenpas specifically should be able to find resonance between the clear light of rigpa and the uncreated light of Theoria, and so it fits right in with the work that I do day in and day out. 

I have never worked with this saint before, but felt his presence immeditately. I asked for his guidance and intercession on a specific matter, than entered into contemplation with an unusually small amount of distraction. 

I will repeat this again a few times before I sleep tonight. 



No comments: