Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mary Mary

Since Christianity seems to be the theme of the week, I thought I might post a reminder that today is the feast of Mary Magdalene.

I am unconvinced that she was the wife of Christ and not convinced at all of her bearing the Christs or other Dan Brown type nonsense.

I am however convinced that she was probably the closest of the disciples, and know for a fact that she is herself a powerful force for both raising the mind towards union and for interceding on our behalf.

I post here the collect for the day taken from the Daily Office of the Anglican Church followed by a prayer for Haiti that the Church is recommending to people today. 

Lastly, a reading from Thunder, the Perfect Mind, which is all about the divine feminine.


Collect of the Day: Mary Magdalene


Almighty God, whose blessed Son restored Mary Magdalene to health of body and of mind, and called her to be a witness of his resurrection: Mercifully grant that by your grace we may be healed from all our infirmities and know you in the power of his unending life; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, on God, now and for ever. Amen.




A Prayer for Haiti

by Josh Thomas


O Father of the poor and Mother of the oppressed: Enfold in your arms the suffering people of Haiti. Comfort those in mourning; relieve those in pain; give shelter to the homeless and hope to those in despair. Feed your people, O God, with bread both earthly and divine, and give them your water and wine. Help them bury the dead, nurse the sick and wounded, and raise their faith and dignity, for they are some of your dearest children. Proclaim your truth that this vibrant, creative nation still shines as a beacon of freedom throughout the Americas. And help the people of Haiti, with the nations of the world, to rebuild their colorful land in the image of your Son Jesus Christ, who knows our suffering because he took our mortal pain into his body on the Cross, then rose again to live and reign with you and the Holy Comforter. Amen.]


A lesson taken from Thunder, the Perfect Mind:

I was sent by the Power and came to those who thought of me. I was found by those who sought me. Behold me, ye who thought of me. And ye who wanted to hear me, listen to me. And ye who expected me, accept me. And do not drive me away from before your eyes. And let not your voice or your ear hate me. Do not ignore me anywhere or at any time. Be careful, do not ignore me, for I am the first and the last. I am the honored one and the despised one. I am the harlot and I am the saint. I am the woman and I am the virgin. I am the mother and I am the daughter. I am barren and I have many children. I have many husbands and I am unmarried. I am the physician who heals and I am the one who wounds. I am the bride and I am the bridegroom. I am the mother of my husband and my husband is my father. I am the daughter of my husband, and my husband is my son. I am the sister of my husband and my husband is my brother. I am the slave of my father and I am the mistress of my son. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what is this Thunder thing from or about?

Maria Clark said...

Happy feast day of Mary Magdalene to you. Coincidentally (or not) that is the very same Lesson that the Ecclesia Gnostica uses on this very auspicious day. @ Brother Christopher – The Thunder Perfect Mind- comes from the Nag Hammadi Library - a wonderful collection of Gnostic works.
Pax Pleroma
Maria V.