Monday, June 28, 2010

your trip brings another question: when u travel, what kind of practice do u bring w/u on the road? i am guessing u probably still meditate while on vacation? (that's easy to bring :) ); anything else? do u bring any magickal materia w/u ever?

I meditate and do lots of breath/energy work. Every year in VT I try to get some good Tummo sessions in as the air is very clear for that kind of work. Other than that, I do magic as needed,

I bring very little materia with me. I bring a Phurba and my Q-link and my Sibilla deck. Maybe I will bring a zafu, but sometimes not.

Tools are wonderful to use, but you also need to learn to work without them. If you cant go on vacation without bringing an altar or even books with you than you have a problem.

As one Lama asked me "what if you get thrown in prison? You need to be able to take your sadhana down to the essentials and be able to perform it even under the eyes of people bent on stopping you".

At the moment I am taking no new questions.

3 comments:

Mr. J. said...

As one Lama asked me "what if you get thrown in prison? You need to be able to take your sadhana down to the essentials and be able to perform it even under the eyes of people bent on stopping you".

I totally agree here. Tools are great, not merely as foci, but as objects of Arte, but we need to learn to surpass them, because you can't have a traveling cart full of your tools and a ritual room with you at all times.

Balthazar said...

One also should be able to turn what you have at hand into a tool, whatever that might be.

Anonymous said...

Right now I'm traveling and have a moleskin book and pen for notes, a Stairs of Gold deck, a pendulum, and a little wand. Plus an astronomy and moon phase program on my ipod, for when it's cloudy at night. Candle and water on site, but I have only really needed the book and pen so far.